NLC has shown increased turnover and marginal decrease in profits in 2003-04 over the previous year. turnover for the year 2003-04 was Rs 2,807.54 crores comapred to Rs. 2,681.48 crores in 2002-03. The profit for 2003-04 was Rs. 1,143.51 crores compared to Rs. 1,148.40 crore in 2002-03.
NLC produced 205.57 lakh tonnes of lignite from its opencast mines, up from 186.24 lakh tonnes in the previous year. It generated 16.39 billion units of gross power, compared to 14.97 billion units the previous year.
Some key points from the press conference by Chairman of NLC, S. Jayaraman:
- The Rs. 2,161.28-crore 4.5-million tonne Mine II expansion linked to the Rs. 2,030.78 crore thermal station II expansion is awaiting Government nod.
- The 2.1-million tonne Rajasthan mine-cum-power project (2X125MW) costing Rs. 1,347.76 crores is awaiting nod from the Public Investment Board.
- Land had already been identified for the joint venture 1,000 MW coal-based power project in Tuticorin, with TNEB. Once TNEB gets TN Govt. approval, the project will start.
- NLC is awaiting sanction for the 4x500 MW coal-based power project in Ib Valley in Orissa.
- NLC is willing to take up the Jayamkondan lignite-based power project (1,000 MW) which is delayed because the private players are asking for payment security mechanism from TNEB.